15 April 2011

Yo voy a Archena :(

I know, I know, I'm supposed to just be happy to be in Spain.  But yesterday I received an email saying that the district has accepted me and that I'll be teaching in Archena.  I know almost nothing about this small town except that it is best known for its hot springs.  Have you been around hot springs before?  Every one I've ever been around smelled like rotten eggs.  Eww.  I looked on google maps and Archena looks even smaller than San Marcos, my current tiny town.

The thing that I'm most worried about now:  rental and transportation.  When I look for apartment listings, almost nothing comes up.  I haven't gone into detail with the bus routes yet but small towns aren't usually that well set up.  Hopefully I'm wrong.  I really was looking forward to walking everywhere, eating fresh produce daily, and depending on public transportation.  I really don't want to have to worry about things like cars, parking, etc.  

So I guess it's time to start doing some serious research.  Now that I have a definite location I can really get going on information.  If anyone knows anything about Archena, haha, let me know!

3 comments:

  1. Archena is less than half hour from Murcia, I'm sure you'd have no problem living in the city and commuting by public transport or with other teachers, my current pueblo is half hour from the city and i havent had any problems getting to work!
    Coty

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's half an hour by car, but I won't have one of those. Which means an hour by bus. I think the deciding factors for me will be how many days a week I will have to go and how early in the morning. But yes, I'm leaning very heavily towards living in Murcia and commuting. Everyone has given me a lot to think about lately. There are a lot of Pros and Cons to either option. Thanks for your comment Coty. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading your blog. I love the "Esperando" post. Me suena mucho. Esperar is a big part of living in Spain. And don't worry about finding an apartment until you get here. The process is very informal--there aren't even leases or contracts. You will most likely see fliers and posters everywhere. Or see if you can find an Archena Facebook page. Maybe you'll find someone advertising a free room or you can post a comment saying that you're looking. That worked for me in Murcia and I found a piso almost right away.

    And even if you did live in a bigger city, life gets busy and you don't have time to do anything until the weekends anyway. You can just hop on a bus and come to Murcia or go to the beach at Alicante any Saturday. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete