16 October 2011

Somos el 99%!

On the 15th of October (sorry it's so late!) I went to a protest in Spain and it was my first protest ever.  They called themselves 15-M because their first protest, which was only in Spain, was on the 15th of May.  They're also known as the "indignados" the indignants.  So a week or so ago, on 15-O, they did another protest except that this one was joined by more than 650 cities worldwide.  They protested the corruption and misallocation of funds today.  They want a democracy that is more focused on the citizens and less on the businesses.
For me, it was awesome to be there because I've been reading posts on facebook and hearing from my friends that there are protests going on in the states as well and that there is a lot of discontent with the 1%.  I'm sure you've heard of Occupy Wallstreet. To see so many people gathered in Murcia, walking peacefully to a plaza and  then sitting and listening and supporting and making their voices heard was absolutely fantastic for me.  To feel like just because I wasn't at home didn't mean that I had to sacrifice my voice.

Here are some of the things that they said or had written:

Somos el 99%  ---   We are the 99%!
Que no, que no, que no nos representan!  ---  That no, that no, that they don't represent us!
Luego diréis que somos 5 o 6!  ---  Later y'all will say that we were only 5 or 6!
La salud no es un negocio, es un derecho!  ---  The health isn't a business, it's a right!

And....
This isn't the original, I'm so sorry, I'll probably have a camera in November....

Organize yourself!  And be inspired by the 500,000 in Madrid....




No comments:

Post a Comment